Assignment one: Essay
An academic essay which critically discusses the following statement:
The events industry is an effective and appropriate vehicle for the social, cultural, environmental and economic development of a city or region.
Overall the essay must be integrated, comprehensive and demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the events industry and regional development. There should be a meaningful discussion about the key factors rather than mere descriptions of elements.
The essay should:
– provide an overview and definition of events and their use which:
o demonstrates an understanding of the history of events;
o identifies and discusses the various sectors of the event industry;
o identifies the various types of events (mega, hallmark, community, business, artforrn)
o discusses the significance of the event industry in contemporary society.
– describe and discuss, with examples, how events and event tourism interact with:
o regional economic development (jobs, income, sustainability);
o regional social/cultural development (social cohesion and inclusion): and,
o regional environmental development (infrastructure, revitalisation and appreciation of attractions, sustainability).
There needs to be:
– Engagement with the study materials - textbook, academic journals, the Internet, trade and other published reports and documentation to research and develop discussion.
– Reference list for any literature cited.
1. Comprehend and evaluate the role of festivals and special events in contemporary society
3. Identify and analyse the economic, environmental, sociocultural and political impacts associated with events and discuss the management of associated issues.
Points brief -
For the history of events simply cover the point that events have a long, ancient community purpose history, then, move to a discussion about the advent of event tourism and the subsequent re-purposing of events for economic development.
To discuss and describe sectors of the events industry, consider who conducts events and why - community, government, private businesses, and fans, artists and performers.
Types of events should be described both by type - festival, sport, business, political, etc. and by size - mega, hallmark, major, community. Use examples to demonstrate you know which is which.
Also use examples (they can be the same ones) to clearly show events that had predominately development outcomes for -
1. Regional economy; 2. Socio-cultural change; 3 Environmental (natural or built) enhancement.
Use the materials in the readings as your primary research and reference source material.
A suggested simple format is -
Ist Paragraph - Discuss the history of events covering their various purposes.
2nd and 3rd Paragraphs - Describe event tourism and the subsequent re-purposing of events for economic development.
4th Paragraph - Describe sectors of the events industry, and who conducts events and why.
5th Paragraph - Discuss the various types of events relating them to the description in paragraphs 1 to 4.
6th, 7th 8th and 9th Paragraphs - Discuss the differences between mega, hallmark, major, and community events. Use examples to demonstrate you know which is which.
10th , 11th and 12th Paragraphs - Use examples (they can be the same ones used in paragraphs 6 to 9) to clearly show events that had predominately development outcomes for - 1. Regional economy; 2. Socio-cultural change; 3 Environmental (natural or built) enhancement.