In groups of three or four, you will be required to conduct research on strategic information systems e.g. (AIS/ERP) for your client. Your team is required to pick a case study in one of the areas mentioned below (not limited to). Then prepare a Business Report for the client detailing the processes of selecting an information system (AIS/ERP) to help them to make informed decision for investment in information system to take their business to the next level including:
1. Compare and contrast the issues and challenges that face strategic information systems planners. Your answer should clearly discuss the issues each sector (private or public) face when managing IT/IS strategically.
2. Critically evaluate whether or not an IS Strategy may help an organisation to achieve a competitive advantage. If an IS Strategy can help an organisation achieve a competitive advantage - how might an organisation sustain such an advantage?
3. What approaches could an organisation adopt when attempting to develop innovative uses of strategic IS?
4. Choose either Outsourcing or End User Computing, as a strategic option. Critically discuss how the Director of IT/IS of the chosen organisation would manage the strategic option you have chosen.
5. Evaluate the statement that: Strategic Information Systems can add business value to an organisation through IT/IS. Your answer should include relevant case evidence that supports your arguments.
6. Critically discuss what constitutes having a 'good' internal control in a contemporary and complex business world. Your answer should cover how organisations could develop an internal control strategy so that they are not exposed to excessive risks or behaviours that could harm their reputation for honesty and integrity of their staff.
The report should be about 3,500 words and should be submitted in an MS Word format document for the client. Each group would be required to find information system (AIS/ERP) that addresses the different six aspects (mentioned above) of the clients' business especially the area of their enumerated challenges and should also ensure that the client's business requirements are addressed.Remember: this is a report intended to convince a board of directors to adopt your proposal.
Your report must therefore be complete, yet concise; be clear and convincing, and professionally presented. Above all, the report must be specific to the needs of the business.
Case Studies in the areas of: (The team needs to email the lecturer their choice)
- Public Transport
- Real Estate
Please make sure the submission has the appropriate presentation and writing style. The research should include a list of at least 8 references used in the research report and a bibliography of the wider reading done to familiarize oneself with the topic. All reports must use the Harvard referencing style
Self-check submission allows two attempts and shows the similarity level of your submission contents to other students' submissions. So please make sure the submission percentage is not high and you've paraphrased the contents of your submission in your own English.